Thoughts and Wanderings

Monday, July 28, 2008

Phone Conversation with a 5 year old

She's answering the phone now, usually getting to it before Mamma even knows it rang!

"Hi Nonna!" she said as soon as she heard my voice. We had a very pleasant conversation for a few minutes as I told her I was going to pick her up on Friday and bring her back to my house on the train. I thought that Amtrak would be a fun summer adventure and I wouldn't have to drive. We could read and talk and embroider as we took the trip from her house to mine.

Then, wanting to talk to her Mamma, I said, "Is Mamma there?"
"Yes," she answered.
"What is she doing? Is she having a happy day?" I asked.
"Not so much."
"Really? Why?"

"Mamma," her sweet 5 year old voice called out to her mother, "Why you not so much happy?"
Mamma, just realizing she was on the phone.... "Who are you talking to?!"
"I'm talking to Nonna. Are you happy?"
"Yes, I'm happy."
Mamma came on the phone to finish the conversation with singing and dancing in the background. A happy little 5 year old "spark plug."

Mamma was having a happy, restful day off work. Everything was fine. Maybe she was just sitting and contemplating her little girl's first day of kindergarten in a few short weeks...

1 comment:

T said...

That is fantastic. I don't know which part I like better CB thinking Mamma is not happy today or her having a 5 minute phone conversation and Mamma not even knowing it! Great stuff.