Thoughts and Wanderings

Monday, August 11, 2008

Friendship Bread Starter

I baked today. My Friendship Bread starter needed attention. After doing a little research, I found out that the starter freezes with no ill effects. So, 10 days ago, I took a little zip lock bag of frozen starter out of my freezer and transferred it to a gallon zip lock bag. Day One. The next steps are easy. You just need to be home, take it with you on a trip, or find a sitter. I was home. 

When grandchildren come over, they love to squeeze the bag and I let them squeeze away. The starter loves the attention. And when the bag fills up with gas, it looks like a balloon ready to explode. 

At the end of the 10 days, you have 3 zip lock bags with 1 cup of starter each and a bowl with 1 1/2 cups starter that you use to bake. The idea is to give 2 bags away to friends and keep one for yourself to begin the process again. 

I tried one of my variations today and made Banana Friendship Bread. Two loaves. One for the freezer and one to eat. The last two times I kept all those 1 cup "give away" bags and put them in the freezer for safe keeping. Now my freezer is filling up with little Friendship Starter bags. I need to either throw them away, or find more friends!

But the bread cooling in the kitchen smells SO good! It's going to be delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. And those little bags in the freezer... I can plan on when I want my next baking day to be and possibly bake 4 loaves instead of giving some away.

No comments: