Thoughts and Wanderings

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Menu Planning

It's too expensive to go out to eat, and our meals at home are so much better than any restaurant we can go to. Papa makes the BEST BBQed steak!! Sometimes I buy myself a salmon steak and he BBQs it along with his beef steak.

I have my favorite grocery stores. One is a family market a short walk from my house. They have the best butcher counter, deli, vegetables, all kinds of gourmet items that you can't find anywhere else. Summer dinners for Papa and I have often been a walk together to the market to pick up something to BBQ, or one of their amazing prepared meats that you take home and put in the oven. BBQed something, fresh vegetables, delicious bread, and something simple for dessert like ice cream. We love good food.

Now that I'm getting ready to go back to school for the year, those weekday meals have to be planned a week in advance, so I went shopping today. Target for soaps and personal items and sometimes groceries. They have a good deal on Jimmy Dean sausage that Papa likes with his eggs in the morning, "string" cheese for my lunch box, sugar free ice cream sandwiches for Papa's dessert... 

Then I head over to Trader Joe, which is now in the same shopping center near my house. Today I went with my little "menu planner" sheet and I started to fill in the meals for each day. By the time I finished my shopping, this is what I had:

Monday: Trader Joe Cranberry Apple Stuffed Chicken Breasts (fresh and ready for the oven)
Tuesday: Hamburgers (Trader Joe prepared and ready for the BBQ) on sour dough bread
Wednesday: BBQ Italian Sausage (From my freezer)
Thursday: Freezer Fun (I need to use whatever is oldest in there)
Friday: We're going to a ball game with friends, so dinner will be out.

I picked up some wonderful looking corn on the cob, fresh green beans, and fresh zucchini to have during the week. Frozen green beans and peas for my freezer. 

My lunch box always gets filled with leftovers from dinner, but I keep cheese and salami on hand along with fruit and cleaned raw vegetables. 

Ok. Bring on school. If I have my food, I'm ready to go!!

No comments: